Cost of Living:
Shops & Banks:
Started University: Sep 2008
Due to Graduate: July 2012
Course studied: http://courses.glam.ac.uk/courses/98-ba-hons-fashion-design
(Including sandwich year)
I'm going to be as honest as I can and give points under positive and negative sections
- Nightlife in Cardiff is pretty good, with a selection of different clubs, bars and pubs, theres something for everyone.
- Cardiff is the fashion capital of Wales.
- Plenty of shops
- Cromwell House (The fashion building) is very spacious, there is plenty of light. There are plenty of sewing machines and overlocking machines as well as MAC computers which you can use anytime you like.
- The technical tutors are very helpful and will stay later than their contracted hours to help you with your garments.
- Pretty much everything to do with the way that the main tutors run the course.
If you do decide to enrol on this course you can look forward to being messed around in terms of deadline dates (as they will be moved to a later date once you have completed the work).
The one tutor in particular (who I will not name) is unreliable, very fake, careless and arrogant. (She only really cares about how the students make her look to the public) She has taken coursework without the student's permission, used it to show people from the industry and then lost it- which is extremely frustrating when you spend time and money on your work.
In previous years, I have found that tutors change their mind like they do socks. One minute they will like your designs, so you will make a toile (a mock up garment, ready to make the actual garment) and then they will change their mind and tell you to do something different- a complete waste of your time. Or you will source fabrics which you think are suitable for your project, they will like them at the beginning of the project, and then a few weeks before the deadline will change their minds and tell you to source something else (Extremely frustrating when it takes ages to source fabrics!!!)
This year, a class mate of mine had her final garment ripped when the tutors were putting garments on the mannequin (by themselves) to decide a running order for the fashion show. My classmate knew it had happened then as she saw the garments just after they had completed the task. The tutor later tried to cover it up by saying something such as "if any garments get ripped in the fashion show, don't stress, it's not the end of the world".
- Tutors expect you to buy fabrics from London (My final year collection fabric has cost nearly £800) They will penalize people who buy it from anywhere else - such as City Road in Cardiff.
- In your first and second year, you will be invited to go on an annual trip to either New York, Tokyo or Paris. (Sounds fab but please read on) The tutors will state that a trip to one of these places is essential for your work (which is rubbish) I went to New York in my first year for 4 days (cost around £1000) and there was no schedule at all. The 4 days mainly consisted of shopping and sight seeing (a complete waste of money when your a student- with a tonne of dept already!) I did not see my tutors once on that trip. I think the main reason that they put so much pressure on you to go, is so that they can go (you pay extra to cover their costs).
I do not know if it is true but when we went to New York, we had pretty bog standard rooms (which weren't the best) and I heard that the tutors had upgraded rooms!
- Be prepared for 3 years of stress!! There are quite a lot of people who drop out in the first and second year! Please bare in mind that you will still have to pay for the years tuition fee! (NOT CHEAP!)
- You will find that there are class favourites- Students are not all treated the same
- Tutors will make out that the course is something that it's not at interview or open day. They like to think that they are London Fashion College.
- Parking in Cardiff is very expensive
I hope my review has been helpful. I have to say that I would not recommend this course to anyone. I'm just glad that I have finished and I do not have to go back again.
Written by dr_monkey on 15th May 2012